using partcombine with different clefs, repeats, text

From: N. Andrew Walsh
Subject: using partcombine with different clefs, repeats, text
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 10:30:39 +0100

Hi List,

sigh … here we go again. I apologize in advance for my client, a hobbyist composer who thinks entirely in terms of cutting and pasting, moving things around manually, and not in terms of how to notate anything clearly. Here goes:

He has a song for soprano, baritone, and piano. The song has four verses, alternating between the two voices (the baritone, weirdly, needs to read a treble clef, so I'm using treble_8 for him). However, he wants to repeat the entire song (ie, enclose the four verses in a '\repeat volta {}' _expression_), *but* he wants the voices to alternate verses, and the second time through to sing the text in English (first time through is in German; he's in his "Schubert phase."). He wants both voices on a single line.

So I *could* notate the baritone in the wrong octave and just use the same music for both repeats, but that still leaves me the problem of what to do with the text. And I don't see a good way to do this without having a lot of explanatory text for each verse. This also leaves me the problem of how this is supposed to look in the parts.

Do any of you have suggestions for how I might format this so there isn't a lot of explanatory text cluttering up the score?

Thanks for the help,

N. Andrew Walsh, PhD, Dr. phil.
Komponist, Musikwissenschaftler | Composer, Musicologist
er/ihn/ihm/sein | he/him/his
Berlin