Re:

From: Gian Paolo Renello
Subject: Re:
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 12:05:45 +0200

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I will study this procedure and i'll give it s try.
Maybe I'll ask in future for other suggestions.

23:52, 10 ottobre 2023, Guy Stalnaker <jimmyg521@gmail.com>:
Welcome to Lilypond. Lilypond can do what you want, but I must say you've chosen a difficult work to begin your Lilypond journey. I, too, use Frescobaldi. But Willbert's wonderful Score Wizard will not have options for this type of score. If I were writing this I would:

1. Use the Score Wizard and create a five staff work with: soprano, also, tenor, bass, and bass
2. The Wizard will create the structure for each voice:

%%%%
scoreASopranoVoice = \relative {
  \global
  \dynamicUp
  % Music follows here.
}
scoreAVerseSopranoVoice = \lyricmode {
  % Lyrics follow here.
}
%%%%

3. Inside those {} you put the notes for each voice, and the lyrics (as appropriate). One way you can use this kind of score are to put the notes for TWO voices on each staff, and LP has syntax that does this within the kind of structure that Frescobaldi's Score Wizard creates:

%%%%
scoreASopranoVoice  = {
  <<
    {
      \voiceOne % Soprano One notes go here
    }
    \new Voice {
      \voiceTwo { % Soprano Two notes go here
  >> \oneVoice \bar "||"
}

%%%%

4. But you can also put the two soprano parts in two different variables and combine them (see below)

5. That gets you the notes on the five staves, two each for soprano, alto, tenor, and bass, then the octavist staff; now you need the lyrics, and that is quite a bit more complicated. Frescobaldi's Score Wizard creates a structure that includes lyrics for each STAFF thus referencing the two variables for each staff:

%%%%

scoreASopranoVoicePart = \new Staff \with {
  instrumentName = "Soprano"
} { \scoreASopranoVoice } % Notes here
\addlyrics { \scoreAVerseSopranoVoice } % Lyrices here

%%%%

6. This will suffice for putting lyrics UNDER the staff; it will not suffice for lyrics over the staff, nor for a second line of lyrics. For lyrics over the staff, you must NAME the staff, then assign the lyrics to that named staff with the command to tell LP to put the lyrics where you want them; here is how I did that for one of my choral compositions (NOTE: hoping not to confuse you, in this example, my soprano parts are in TWO variables "sopranoVoiceOne" and "sopranoVoiceTwo"; the code below combines them on a single staff); note the "alignAboveContent" part, if you don't add that, the lyrics go below the staff; the "\with { alignAboveContext = "<staff name." }" is where the magic happens:

%%%%
sopranoContext = {
  \context Staff = "soprano"
  <<
    \set Staff.instrumentName = \markup { \column { "SS " } }
    <<
      \new Voice = "sopranoVoiceOne" { \sopranoVoiceOne } % Notes here
      \new Lyrics \with { alignAboveContext = "soprano" } \lyricsto "sopranoVoiceOne"{ \verseSopranoVoiceOne }

    <<
      \new Voice = "sopranoVoiceTwo" { \sopranoVoiceTwo } % Notes here
      \new Lyrics \lyricsto "sopranoVoiceTwo" { \verseSopranoVoiceTwo }

}

%%%%

7. The code above creates a single staff with two sets of notes and lyrics above and below it. You create the above for each of your staves (SATBO), then combine them thus (again, following the Frescobaldi Score Wizard):

%%%%
    \score {
      <<
        \sopranoContext
        \altoContext
        \tenorContext
        \bassContext
        \octavistContext

      \layout {
        \context { \GrandStaff \accepts "Lyrics" }
      }
      \midi { }
    }
%%%%

WARNING!! I created this score some years ago early in my own Lilypond journey. There may be, almost certainly are, better/easier ways to do this. Folks on this list are far better at LP than I am. But I can say that this code does still compile successfully (that's two soprano voices, lyrics above and below, one alto voice, tenor voice, lyrics below, baritone voice, lyrics above, and bass voice).

part1.jxq72RJP.SnkZaVJP@gmail.com

Regards.