Re: Still failing to operate lilypond 2.20.0 64-bit version.

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Still failing to operate lilypond 2.20.0 64-bit version.
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 21:39:23 +0200

> Le 5 oct. 2023 à 21:26, David Wright <lilylis@lionunicorn.co.uk> a écrit :
>
> I'm sorry—perhaps I attached too much significance to the OP's
> "I do not want to use Frescobaldi." If a GUI is required,
> I would have thought a Mac editor could supply that, and
> drag-and-drop could run LP on the file that's dropped onto it.

There is nothing to drag and drop onto because there is no “application” in the
strict macOS sense (.app bundle). This doesn't change with MacPorts (or
Homebrew, for that matter).

> But regardless of the OP's target, maybe that type of instruction
> sequence be useful to a Mac user who didn't want a GUI? The
> ones given in LM §§1.1–1.3 seem very tied to Frescobaldi, and I'm
> uncertain of the relationship between the macOS section of
> https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.25/Documentation/web/download and
> the first two paragraphs of LM §1.4.

The potential advantages of using Homebrew or MacPorts are:

- Using a single tool to install and uninstall CLI tools
- Possibly smaller downloads, because dependencies can be shared between
packages

A potential downside is that access to older versions of LilyPond might be less
easy (I don't know exactly).

All of this is mostly irrelevant to whether you like GUIs.