Re: Lilypond Terminates on Start-Up

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Lilypond Terminates on Start-Up
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 22:34:44 +0200

Hi,

I'm adding back the mailing list in CC. Please always keep it to allow other people to chime in.

Thank you for describing the problem precisely.

Le mardi 12 septembre 2023 à 20:21 +0000, Zone Dremik a écrit :
Hello,

I usually start work by double-clicking on a Lilypond-file Icon (.ly ) in a finder window. The Apple OS shows the opening-file animation, and starts Frescobaldi.

Frescobali goes through start up with Splash-Screen, and the full Frescobaldi menu appears, but no windows. The selected file does not actually open.

At that point, I can go back to the finder and double-click again. The selected file then opens, and I can work. (Once Frescobaldi is running properly, I can also open files from the Recent-Files menu). I never use the Open-File menu choice in Frescobaldi.

After a recent Apple System upgrade, Frescobaldi now stalls completely during start-up. (Flash-screen, but no menus, no windows). The Apple system monitor shows that it is unresponsive and I must force-quit.

After I force-quit, I can start Frescobadli again (either double-click a file or click the App Icon) and it runs as normal.

I Re-Installed Frescobaldi. I followed the MacPorts Install link on the Frescobaldi website download page. I would normally have used the prebuilt Mac OS installer option, but there is a message saying that some features were not available via that route.

The MacPorts install ran without any error messages, but I am not sure if I was doing a fresh install or an upgrade to a newer version. In any case there has been no change with running Frescobaldi.

Well, according to the information at the bottom, the version you are running Frescobaldi 3.1.3, but according to
https://ports.macports.org/port/frescobaldi/
the version currently packaged in MacPorts is Frescobaldi 3.3.0.
That means that the version you are running is actually not the one MacPorts installed but an older version that is still around. It also says: “installation kind: standalone .app bundle” which confirms this.

I'd first remove that Frescobaldi app (probably "move to trash" in the Applications directory? my days of using macOS are long ago) then maybe try to reinstall the MacPorts app. I don't know whether MacPorts is actually going to install it to /Applications (CCing Davide who should know more).

I came rather late to Frescobaldi. I had been using Lilypond (starting about ten years ago) on it's own. At that time, I could start Lilypond from the Mac Finder, and it would open with a simple text editor and some menu choices. Output was sent to a PDF viewer.

Is it the case that Lilypond no longer works as a stand-alone app?

Yes, indeed. That app was totally inferior in every way to Frescobaldi or even other editors, and was causing trouble for us developers (especially with the switch to 64-bit architectures).

I am quite satisfied to use Fresobaldi. I had tried to open Lilypond in order to double-check what version it was.

All the files I work with have \version statements "2.20.0" but Update.ly stopped working quite some time ago.

Do you mean convert-ly?

(Should I make further inquiry about this?)

Yes.

Would you recommend downloading the latest Lilypond?

Changing LilyPond won't help. You have a Frescobaldi problem, not a LilyPond problem.

Regards,
Jean

Thank you very much for your attention to this matter.
Sincerely,
Zon

Frescobaldi: 3.1.3
Extension API: 0.9.0
Python: 3.9.1
python-ly: 0.9.7
Qt: 5.11.3
PyQt: 5.15.2
sip: 4.19.24
poppler: 20.12.1
python-poppler-qt: 0.75.0
OS: macOS-10.16-x86_64-i386-64bit
installation kind: standalone .app bundle