Beam slope across break

From: Knute Snortum
Subject: Beam slope across break
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 13:45:16 -0700

I am engraving a piece with a lot of beams crossing breaks.  Most of the time LilyPond does fine with these, but once in a while I'd like to adjust the beam slope of the second part of the broken beam.  Overriding beam positions seems like a good fit here, but in my case it produces stems too long on the second part of the beam.

I have attached a PNG displaying the behavior with the code that produced it below.  The first score shows how the default beam positions after the break don't look good, and the second shows my attempt to fix the situation.

In short, is there a way to control the slope of the beam after the break, or some other way to deal with the situation?

\version "2.25.7"

\layout {
  indent = 0
  ragged-right = ##t
}

\relative {
  \time 6/8
  c'4.^"without override" a8[ e' a | \break
  g'8 c e,] c4. |
}

\relative {
  \time 6/8
  c'4.^"with override"
    \once \override Beam.positions = #'(-6.5 . -3.5)
    a8[ e' a | \break
  g'8 c e,] c4. |

Knute Snortum