Re: LilyPond 2.24.2 and convert-ly

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: LilyPond 2.24.2 and convert-ly
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 02:13:00 +0200

Le dimanche 13 août 2023 à 16:37 -0700, Ralph Palmer a écrit :
> I installed Lilypond in home/lilypond, and I aimed Frescobaldi 3.2 to
> /home/rpalmer/lilypond/lilypond-2.24.2/bin/lilypond
> When I run Frescobaldi on an .ly file, it seems to work correctly.
>
> When I open Terminal and type in
> find . -name '*.ly' -exec convert-ly -e '{}' \;
> and hit return, I get multiple lines of
> /home/(me)/bin/convert-ly: 6: exec: /home/(me)/lilypond/usr/bin/python3: not
> found

Allow me to turn the question the other way around. How could that *work*? :-)

To "install" LilyPond 2.24.2, all you've done is extracting the tar archive
into your home folder. Then you try to run convert-ly using just
"convert-ly". Why would the terminal look into this folder?

I mean, imagine if, after you downloaded an archive that happened to contain
an executable called "cd", into your Downloads folder, a simple "cd foo"
ran the downloaded program. Wouldn't that be incredibly dangerous?

The fix here is to run

find . -name '*.ly' -exec ~/lilypond/lilypond-2.24.2/bin/convert-ly -e '{}' \;

specifying the full path to the convert-ly executable.

> When I try to go to
> /home/(me)/lilypond/usr/bin
> my lilypond directory has no /usr, much less /usr/bin
> lilypond/lilypond-2.24.2/lib
> does have python3.10

The error sounds like you have ~/bin/lilypond and ~/bin/convert-ly, which are
very likely remnants of an old LilyPond installation made using the pre-2.24
installation method with an sh script, and that installation was also in
~/lilypond.

Those pre-2.24 installations contained an "uninstall-lilypond" script, but
of course it was easy to miss it and just delete the files in ~/lilypond,
as I infer you did, without removing the wrappers (or symlinks? I don't
remember) created in ~/bin.

Try

rm
~/bin/{abc2ly,convert-ly,etf2ly,lilymidi,lilypond,lilypond-book,lilypond-invoke-editor,lilysong,midi2ly,musicxml2ly}

to clean them out. They're not hurting, strictly speaking, but
you will save yourself confusion in the future by not having
these ghosts.