Re: Distance from barline to first note of bar

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Distance from barline to first note of bar
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 09:55:17 -0400

Hi Jean,

>> I know <https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/internals/leftedge>
>> describes the different spacing-style options, but can you comment on
>> why/whether one would/should set both this spacing-style *and* another
>> (e.g., minimum-space)?
> I don't understand the question. How could you set several spacing styles at
> once?

Well, with other spacing parameters, we can and do, e.g.

score-system-spacing =
    #'((basic-distance . 12)
       (minimum-distance . 6)
       (padding . 1)
       (stretchability . 12))

Why not

    \override BarLine.space-alist.next-note = #'((semi-fixed-space . 10)
(minimum-space . 4))

or similar?

Thanks,
Kieren.

My work day may look different than your work day. Please do not feel obligated
to read or respond to this email outside of your normal working hours.