Re: \partCombine when notes are far apart

From: Peter SOTW
Subject: Re: \partCombine when notes are far apart
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 07:50:43 -0400 (EDT)

Your answer is exactly what I was looking for. I really appreciate this forum. Thank you.

Jul 11, 2023 11:13:02 Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr>:

 When I use \partCombine and the notes are more than a ninth apart the stems do not connect.  Can I force a longer stem on beats 3 and 4 in this example?

This is intended. To customize the behavior, you should use the optional argument to \partCombine, which goes before the two music parts.

\version "2.24.1"

partA = { c'' d''4 e'' f'' c'' d''4 e'' f'' }
partB = { c' c' c' c' c' c' \stemUp  c' c' }
\partCombine #'(0 . 9) \partA \partB

It's #'(0 . 8) by default, so notes further apart than an octave plus one step aren't merged. By changing the 8 to a higher value, you get the desired effect.

Best,

Jean