Re: QUIBBLE: Interesting use (mis-matched) of left and right quotes of q

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: QUIBBLE: Interesting use (mis-matched) of left and right quotes of quoted strings in Lilypond output
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2023 05:03:41 +0000 (UTC)

> QUIBBLE: Interesting use (mis-matched) of left and right quotes of
> quoted strings in Lilypond output
>
> Processing `Were_You_There.ly'...  [...]

As others mentioned already, this is deliberate.  It was the standard
GNU quoting style many years ago, and it looked OK then with most
fonts, both on the terminal and in print.

Meanwhile, this has changed.  The GNU coding standard

https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Quote-Characters.html#Quote-Characters

now recommends 'foo' (and "foo") for quoting in the C locale.
Changing this in LilyPond everywhere is a rather simple but major
undertaking, and until now nobody volunteered to do so.  It also
affects translations, because changing the quoting style necessitates
proper synchronization in the corresponding `.po` files so that the
burden of suddenly updating a large bunch of messages does not become
a job of the translators.

Note that the LilyPond's documentation itself is not affected.  We
rather use `@q{...}` and `@qq{...}` for quotation.

Note also that you will find more and more Markdown quotation style in
comments and non-Texinfo documentation, which uses 'foo' and "foo" for
normal quoting, and `foo` to indicate verbatim stuff.

If you are interested on more background information, I suggest to
read

  https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/quotes.html

    Werner