Re: Proportional duration and cross-staff notation

From: Lib Lists
Subject: Re: Proportional duration and cross-staff notation
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 14:20:37 +0200

@Jean, thank you for your help. Leo is correct, I'm looking for
spacing based on the stems and not the noteheads (or maybe based on
different parts of the notehead).

@Leo, thank you, your example works very well (and it's much more
readable than mine!). The only problem is the shorter space at the end
of the bar. To solve it, I inverted your 'up' and 'down' definitions
that also grought the advantage of aligning with grid lines, but of
course I now get too little space at the beginning of the bar...

See attached picture with grid lines. Basically this would work, if
the space between the beginning of the bar and the first note was the
same as in the other notes.
Thank you all so far for your help!

For reference, here's the code for the attached picture:

#(ly:set-option 'crop #t)
\version "2.25.5"

up = { \change Staff = "up"  \stemDown \revert NoteColumn.X-offset }
down = { \change Staff = "down" \stemUp \temporary\override
NoteColumn.X-offset = #-1.2 }

\score {
  \new PianoStaff  <<

    \new Staff = "up"  {
      \time 12/8
      \clef bass
      \new Voice { s1. s1. }
    }

    \new Staff = "down" {
      \override Beam.positions = #'( 6 . 6 )
      \clef bass
      \down b8[ c'  \up c' b]
      \down b8[  \up c' b]
      \down c'[  \up c']
      \down b8  \up c' b
       \down b8[ c'  \up c' b]
      \down b8[  \up c' b]
      \down c'[  \up c']
      \down b8  \up c' b
    }

\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    proportionalNotationDuration = #(ly:make-moment 1/8)
    \override SpacingSpanner.uniform-stretching = ##t
    \consists "Grid_line_span_engraver"
  }
  \context {
    \Staff
    \consists "Grid_point_engraver"
    gridInterval = #(ly:make-moment 1/24)
    \override Beam.positions = #'( 6 . 6 )
    \override NoteSpacing.stem-spacing-correction = #-2