Re: Moving note in three-voice context

From: Paul Hodges
Subject: Re: Moving note in three-voice context
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 19:37:57 +0100

In fact Breitkopf's new Bach edition has somewhat more generous spacing that doesn't require a tweak.

Overriding LilyPond's very clever spacing algorithm is a dark art to me.  I'm having to do a lot of it right now, but my approach is unashamedly hacky - but it works for me!  Anyway, my totally hacky solution (which I'm sure will get blown away shortly) is extremely simple: turn the first crotchet in the pedals into two notes, but secretly - that changes the spacing just enough.

pedal = \relative c {\global c1~ | c4*1/2 s8 c4 h a | gis2 gis' | }

c4*1/2 draws a crotchet, but only uses a quaver of time; the other quaver is filled by s8 (I tried a hidden real quaver first, but that took too much space), and the other parts move over a little to match.

Paul