Re: v2.25.2: D.S. al Coda

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: v2.25.2: D.S. al Coda
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 22:13:16 +0100

Le jeudi 23 mars 2023 à 10:01 -0700, Paul Scott a écrit :

“Segno“ means “sign”.

That's why it's redundant.  That's why I almost never see the variation from the Lilypond documentation in music that I work with.

“Dal segno 𝄋” is not redundant, it just means “go back to the sign 𝄋”. “Dal segno” means “go back to the sign”, where which sign is being referred to is left implicit.

Everyone I know calls 𝄋 the sign, so “Dal segno 𝄋 would be spoken as "go to the sign the sign.

It reminds of how everybody thinks Allah is the god of Muslims. My grandmother, a Christian, uses expressions like “Inshallah” all the time, which is normal since “allah” is merely the Arabic word for “god”. Yet it is surprising to many, in spite of “Allah is the god of Muslims” making about as little sense as “German people have Haar on their heads”, or, indeed, “segno sign”.

I mean, I too use “segno” to mean “𝄋”, not the least because there is no other established word for this symbol. It doesn’t mean that “Dal segno 𝄋” is wrong, though. To an Italian speaker, I suppose it looks perfectly normal.

As David hinted at, it is useful to include the sign in cases like

{
  c'1
  \repeat segno 2 { c' }
  c'1