Re: 2.25.2 optional fine endings

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: 2.25.2 optional fine endings
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 10:47:05 -0700

On 3/13/23 1:36 AM, Aaron Hill wrote:
On 2023-03-13 12:57 am, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
Le 13 mars 2023 à 06:24, Paul Scott <waterhorsemusic@aol.com> a écrit :

What I'm not sure about is what volta does.  A function but what are its arguments and what does it do?

Nope, since it’s quoted, it doesn’t get evaluated but remains a symbol. See https://scheme-book.readthedocs.io/en/latest/scheme/data-types/symbols.html or https://extending-lilypond.gitlab.io/en/scheme/quoting.html

And as far as LilyPond is concerned, repeatCommands is a list of either individual symbols like 'start-repeat or nested lists such as (volta "1.").  The symbol 'volta is used to indicate starting or stopping a volta bracket.  If the following value is a string or markup, a volta bracket is created with the specified text. Otherwise if the second value is false (#f), then this instructs LilyPond to terminate the current volta bracket.

While Scheme shorthand is often very convenient, it can be helpful to be able to translate between the verbose longhand form.

Consider:

  '((volta #f) end-repeat (volta "2."))

Written out, this is equivalent to:

  (list (list (quote volta) #f) (quote end-repeat) (list (quote volta) "2."))

It seems like I need to know where repeatCommands is documented.

Paul

-- Aaron Hill