Re: Preventing stuff from clashing with ledger lines

From: Hans Kenneth Cua
Subject: Re: Preventing stuff from clashing with ledger lines
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 22:45:35 +0800

Hi Jean,

Perhaps, but this becomes hardly feasible when you
consider

\version "2.22.1"

<<
   { e' }
   \\
   { \stemDown g,\tweak Y-offset -1.5-. }

The script position should normally be below the
note, not above it. That happens automatically
if you use \voiceTwo rather than the very specific
\stemDown.

The staccato problem happens when, say, you have beamed notes very far apart in terms of pitch. I can see that this is workable due to the rarity of the occurrence and the ease of the workaround, I am just curious if an automatic solution exists. Sometimes, passages do appear like this by themselves, I'm guessing to "denote" a different mood in the music. This is also a kind of example that I refer to in the slur problem.

> Slurs also should not do this (I'd say a good limit is in between
> the final staff line and the first ledger line).
> Is it also possible to automate this, so that I do not need to tweak
> it every time it happens?

Could you give an example where this happens?

The slur in

\version "2.22.1"
{ \stemDown f'16( d' a f) }

could be better shaped as

\version "2.22.1"
{ \stemDown f'16\shape #'((0 . 0) (0.5 . 0) (-0.3 . 0.9) (0 . 1.5))( d' a f) }

to avoid the ledger lines.