Re: Rendering Two Dots Above a Character

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Rendering Two Dots Above a Character
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 09:34:33 +0000 (UTC)

> I am trying to create some sort of tablature for Kalimba, treating
> it like a one-string instrument with fret-labels. I want to use
> letters like c, ċ, ċ̇ (or c𐽉), etc.  I figured there are Unicode
> characters to do exactly that, "combining dot above" and "combining
> two dots above", etc.  However, LilyPond does not seem to be able to
> render "combining two dots above", and two "combining dot above"
> characters (rendered correctly by my browser, as well as Emacs)
> result in the two dots to be rendered almost on top of each other in
> LilyPond.  I have attached a rather minimal example.

This is a pure font issue, not related to LilyPond at all or the used
rendering library (Pango).  Your example works just fine with the
fonts 'Gentium Plus' or 'Charis SIL', for example.  I've slightly
modified your snippet to show a possible solution.

    Werner
%%% minimal example start
\version "2.22.1"

notes = \relative c' {
  \time 3/4
  c c' c' |
}

\score {
  <<
    \new StaffGroup = "tab with traditional" <<
      \new Staff = "standard" \with {
        midiInstrument = "kalimba"
        instrumentName = "Kalimba"
      } <<
        \clef "treble"
        \context Voice = "music" \notes

      \new TabStaff = "tab" \with {
        stringTunings = \stringTuning <c'>
        tablatureFormat = #fret-letter-tablature-format
        fretLabels = \markuplist {
          \override #'(font-name . "Charis SIL") {
      } <<
        \tabFullNotation
        \context TabVoice = "tab" \notes

}