Re: Descenders affecting line height calculation for lyrics in columns?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Descenders affecting line height calculation for lyrics in columns?
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 07:45:42 -0500

Hi Bernhard,

> Lilypond seems to calculate the "real" line height of the writing, not some
> kind of nominal text line height, so that a line with descenders is higher
> than a line without.

Yes, this is a constant thorn in my engraving side.
I *so* wish we could control line-leading instead of baseline-skip…

> is there some tweak to line height calculation, or a way to add "phantom"
> maximum underlength letters?

In my main include file, I have the following definition:

    strut = \markup \transparent { Tj }

Then, in markups, I use

    \combine $text \strut

to guarantee a consistent height/spacing.

I hope that helps!
Kieren.