Re: alternate notes within a part

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: alternate notes within a part
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2022 15:22:25 -0800

On 2022-01-09 2:50 pm, Valentin Petzel wrote:
It depends a bit on how structured your music is. If you’ve got two Voices it
is reasonable to give both their own relative clause.

If you music does not have a lot of complex structure a top level relative is very much find. Problematic are cases where notes within the music might change, thus affecting stuff after it. This might be the case with tags, but also with cues or scores in footnotes (where also someone might think about
adding something, and suddenly the main music body has problems.

Having been bitten more times than worth counting, I have almost exclusively moved to using \fixed. The level of consistent and precise control means I can add, change, or remove notes as well as freely copy and paste music around without fear of notes being thrown off into the wrong octave.

That said, I think \relative is still useful as a tool for reasonably-scoped melodic phrases where there is much less chance for things to go awry. So, if a song had, say, three main sections, I would probably use one \relative per, decoupling the sections from each other. (Also, there is a good chance each section ends up as its own variable anyway.) Going more granular might make sense if a section was particularly long. At that point, the early and later notes just stop having any practical relationship with one another, so they might be better placed in their own blocks.

-- Aaron Hill