Re: Ties on series of tied notes on center line flipping direction (rand

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Ties on series of tied notes on center line flipping direction (randomly?)
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 12:48:34 -0500

Hi Richard,

> I guess this means it is not a well-known feature.

Not well-known, likely… but sure seems like a bug and not a feature to me.  =)

> Does anyone have an idea if there are guidelines which suggest
> what choice should be made?

It is traditional to place ties on whole notes as if they had stems: above if
the stems would go down, below if the stems would go up. So the question here
reduces to the question of which side the stems would be on [if there were
stems]?

For middle-line notes, there is no strict rule… but there is a general
consensus that stems shouldn't flip unnecessarily. That means in this case, the
stems would/should go down, and thus the ties would [all] be above.

Hope that helps!
Kieren.