Re: Tenuto marking too close to note

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: Tenuto marking too close to note
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 09:45:59 +0100

Hi Erika,

I would like to have the tenuto mark a bit farther away from the note. I had a similar issue with tuplet numbers and then "\override TupletNumber.Y-offset = #-2.5" fixed the issue. I don't know what I should replace "TupletNumber" by in the case of tenuto lines.

Minimal example here:

\version "2.18.2"

\new Staff {
  \relative c'' {\time 3/4 a g e--}
}

With a slightly more recent version of LilyPond, there's this quick-and-dirty solution:

\version "2.19.83"

dashDash = \tweak padding #0.5 \tenuto

\new Staff {
  \relative c'' {\time 3/4 a g e--}
}

This changes all tenutos created by --, but not those created by other means such as \tenuto (that's the "dirty" part).

A cleaner and more surgical solution would be:

\version "2.18"

#(assoc-set! (assoc-ref default-script-alist "tenuto") 'padding 0.5)

\new Staff {
  \relative c'' {\time 3/4 a g e--}
}

Although this approach manipulates internal data structures of LilyPond, it has the advantage of dealing with your issue at the root and not causing side effects for other scripts. Unfortunately, this approach does not work directly for the (still experimental) LilyPond builds using Guile2.

Lukas