Re: slur crossing bar and time signature change

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: slur crossing bar and time signature change
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 21:40:06 +0100

Hi,

Am 24.12.21 um 21:24 schrieb jh:

        \time 5/8
       \tempo 4 = 86
       d8 e fis4 e8
       d e4 d8 c\time 6/8
       (b4) d8 b a4 \bar "|."
when I try to do this the slur does not connect between the c and b4 there is now a slur starting at the b4 and extends until there is another slur over many measures.
Hope there is a solution or at least clarification.

Slurs are attached to notes (and entered after the note, hence "post-events"). \time 6/8 is new music occuring at the same time as b4, but you can't meaningfully attach a slur to a time signature change.

The solution is simple: Attacht the opening slur to your note c, i.e. c( \time 6/8 instead of c \time 6/8 (.

By the way, I'd recommend to put the \time 6/8 onto its own line:

\relative c' {
  \time 5/8
  \tempo 4 = 86
  d8 e fis4 e8