Re: global alignment tweak for ChordName

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: global alignment tweak for ChordName
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 22:29:36 +0100

Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> writes:

> [Valentin]
>> Hello Jean, hello David, hello Kieren,
>>
>> you should even be able to write (if sten (ly:stencil-extent sten)),
>> as the stencil should always be a stencil or #f.
>

> The two universally accepted values for any property
> regardless of the predicate are #f and '(), so it
> may still be '(), which is why checking with specific
> predicates like this is often used in LilyPond's
> source.

'() is a bit of an ugly cookie since it for some reason has been chosen
to be the default for unset properties (seems like a Lisp rather than
Scheme idea to me) but shouldn't be used by users for stuff not formally
fitting the predicate.

In my handwavy impression of trying to sort-of guess unwritten coding
conventions.

--
David Kastrup