Re: Change of RehearsalMark behaviour

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: Change of RehearsalMark behaviour
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 23:15:56 +0000

On Mon, 2021-12-20 at 18:20 +0100, Jean Abou Samra wrote:

Le 20/12/2021 à 16:18, David Sumbler a écrit :
I set a piece a while ago using Lilypond 2.19.48.  It consists of 2
staves, and I used \mark for some annotations that I wanted to appear
above or on barlines - mostly the "crotchet - dotted crotchet" type of
thing.  Sometimes these only applied to one of the staves, so I would
specify the mark in the music for the appropriate staff.  I added:
      \layout {
\context { \Score
   \remove Mark_engraver }
\context { \Staff
   \consists Mark_engraver }
      }
and it all worked just as intended.

I was recently asked to make a new version of the piece.  The main
change is from a male voice to a female one, but this necessitated a
few changes in the other (instrumental) staff.  I ran convert-ly on
copies of the original files as I now had Lilypond 2.23.4 installed.
 I then edited these to produce the new version

Unfortunately the behaviour of RehearsalMark seems to have changed.
 Whereas previously a mark only appeared over the staff whose music it
was specified in, I find that now all of the marks appear in both
staves, regardless of which staff they are intended for.

Is this a bug or an intentional change?  And is there another way I
can use marks to get the result I want and previously had?

This change was intended, see the top entry at

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/changes/index.html

To get the old behaviour, also move the
Mark_tracking_translator, like this:

\version "2.22.1"

\layout {
   \context {
     \Score
     \remove Mark_engraver
     \remove Mark_tracking_translator
   }
   \context {
     \Staff
     \consists Mark_engraver
     \consists Mark_tracking_translator

<<
   \new Staff { \mark \default c'1 }
   \new Staff { c'1 \mark \default }

Regards,
Jean

Thank you for that.  A nice, simple fix to implement.  I must say, though, that I'm having a bit of difficulty getting my head around the new behaviour!

David