Re: String at the bottom of a cover page without using \markup

From: Paolo Prete
Subject: Re: String at the bottom of a cover page without using \markup
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 04:07:15 +0100

On Saturday, December 18, 2021, Aaron Hill <lilypond@hillvisions.com> wrote:
On 2021-12-17 4:28 pm, Paolo Prete wrote:
The example Aaron showed already added *logic* to the template [...]

To be fair, all I showed was the default setting for oddFooterMarkup from titling-init.ly.  Nothing added; that is simply how LilyPond works out of the box.

Hello Aaron, this is not what I meant with "added logic to the template". I just noted that you used some logic for defining a spefic behavior of the basic template. And this is what I would like to avoid, unless I wrap it. Therefore, when you write:

 Your original query was about placing something at the bottom of a page, and the response you have received is to leverage oddFooterMarkup as the most direct and minimally disruptive method.

... This is not right. My original query was not simply "how to place something at the bottom of the page". I explicitily added a constraint: "without using the footer markup". For the reasons I explained later. I prefer to set properties of a class/structure which hides details for this kind of stuff, instead of adding/exposing customizations/logic. This is how I proceed, when programming. From what I see, your approach is a low-level approach, therefore it should be wrapped (so to shorten the code and improve the readibility). But wrapping has some other disadvantages, as I explained later. Then I concluded that, in my general case, the best thing is to use multiple tools (which has disadvantages too, of course, but I consider it a better compromise)

Best,

-- Aaron Hill