Re: starting the first page on the left [in 2.21]

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: starting the first page on the left [in 2.21]
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 19:03:53 +0100

Kieren MacMillan <kieren@kierenmacmillan.info> writes:

> Hi Lukas,
>
>>> One of my pieces fits nicely on two pages, so I'd like to have it
>>> "reversed", i.e., page 1 on the left and page 2 on the right.
>>
>> Wouldn't this usually be done as
>>
>> \paper {
>>   first-page-number = 2
>>   print-first-page-number = ##t
>> }
>>
>> ?
>>
>> I tend to get a little annoyed :-) when a publisher decides to put an even
>> number on a right[*] page.
>
> This is a piano-vocal score for a musical. Because we're still in
> workshop mode (i.e., the score is in constant flux), the pages are
> numbered per-song, not continuous through the whole score (i.e., Song
> #1 has page numbers 1,2,3,4; then Song #2 has page numbers 1,2; then
> Song #3…). This is Song #15, so it will be buried in the pianist's
> [ever-changing] binder; but I want to avoid page turns *and* number
> the pages 1,2 (not "This page intentionally blank" and then 2,3).
>
> I may have to just have a different \paper block — with margins set
> differently — for any songs which "must" [for page-turn reasons] begin
> on the left-hand side. (Again: The whole numbering will be redone once
> the score is done/fixed… I'm just trying to solve the issue for this
> workshop.)
>
> It would just be nice to have a first-page-position = #'left option…  ;)

Double-sided printers tend to have a dim view towards this approach,
too.  Just want to mention this, recently having disassembled a
Laserjet2300DTN in order to replace decomposed solenoid padding with
felt pads so that it's good for longer runs of double-sided printing
again.  It's actually a nice music printer, doing black double-sided
printing on a remarkably margin-less area.  And the network interface
makes it pretty fast, too.

--
David Kastrup