Re: tie from multiple voice?

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: tie from multiple voice?
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2021 18:48:38 +0100

Hi Tom,

Am 03.12.21 um 16:02 schrieb Tom Sgouros:
Thanks, but I'm not sure I completely understand. What you're saying is that if you don't define a voice immediately, you still get one, but its name is nothing ("")? So in my multi-voice segment I can explicitly reference the voice-with-no-name as you are showing with the \voices construct? That makes sense, if that's correct.

Yes, that's basically correct (I'm just not sure if the sentence "its name is nothing" is technically correct, but anyway it's what the situation amounts to).

If you do \new Staff, then the music you enter is still in a "Voice" context that is created implicitly. We could create it explicitly and also give it a name:

\new Staff \new Voice = main {

 % bla

}

and then use \voices main,2 << \\ >> for multi-voice music where the first voice is a continuation of the "main" voice (and hence can be tied to notes outside of << \\ >>).

But notice what Akikazu wrote: If we use \voices with non-number id's, LilyPond does not do the \voiceOne / \voiceOne automatically that's responsible for stem directions, shifting etc. So we have to add them manually, which I forgot to do in my example, unfortunately.

Best
Lukas