Re: CPU stress tests for LilyPond

From: Paolo Prete
Subject: Re: CPU stress tests for LilyPond
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 02:41:22 +0100

Hello Hans,

I don't think this test can give reliable results for what we need to compare.
With my processor (Intel Celeron N3350) it took 96 seconds to compile MSDN.ly

But my CPU is listed with score 287:
https://browser.geekbench.com/processors/intel-celeron-n3350
---> (1712 / 287)

From what I see,  is it true that geekbench 5 is single core, but it intensively uses RAM and the test we need should not be focused on RAM. I would consider a Gzip compression test, instead.

https://openbenchmarking.org/vs/Processor/Apple%20M1,Intel%20Celeron%20J3455

(note that it compares Apple M1 with Celeron J3455, which is NOT my CPU, but it should be very similar for single-core tests.)

The result is 91 / 40 which is very similar to 96 seconds / 40 seconds (Jacque's test)  . I don't know if this is a coincidence and please, if you all have more data, share it.

On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 5:56 PM Hans Åberg <haberg-1@telia.com> wrote:
So, to illustrate the idea of using the benchmark at the list below, it might be the Mac mini (Late 2020) with single-core score 1712 and the other Macs of this year have a similar performance. It gives for the iMac 2008 used a single-core score 372 (depending on model), and it took 4–5 minutes to compile the same example. Then 1712/407 = 4.6, and dividing 4 minutes with that gives 53 seconds, and this ignores speedups in lilypond self, but it seems one can get a rough idea of performance this way.

https://browser.geekbench.com/mac-benchmarks