Re: Delayed Turn

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: Delayed Turn
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 21:28:54 +0100

Hi Mark,

Am 18.11.21 um 20:33 schrieb Mark Stephen Mrotek:
The beam appears since you have both the hidden note and the others in the
same voice. Adding the double backslashes is a shorthand for creating a new
voice, but then I needed to override some directions, since this also sets
the first voice upwards and the second downwards.

To be more precise: The double backslashes are shorthand not only for creating a new voice, but for setting default directions etc. at the same time (namely \voiceOne and \voiceTwo style settings). If we only want a new voice without layout implications, we can just use \new Voice:

\version "2.22"

\relative c' {
  \time 2/4
  \key aes \major

  ees'4
  <<
    { f,8. [(aes32 c)] }
    \new Voice {
      s8
      \once \set suggestAccidentals = ##t
      \once \override AccidentalSuggestion.avoid-slur = #'inside
      \once \override AccidentalSuggestion.font-size = -3
      \once \override AccidentalSuggestion.script-priority = -1
      \hideNotes
      b16\turn

But note that creating delayed turns has gotten significantly easier in the current development version 2.23.4 where we made David Kastrup's \after function available as a stock feature. See https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/notation/expressive-marks-attached-to-notes.html

Using this, you can do:

\version "2.23.4"

\relative c' {
  \time 2/4
  \key aes \major

  ees'4
  \after 8 \new Voice {
    \once \set suggestAccidentals = ##t
    \once \override AccidentalSuggestion.avoid-slur = #'inside
    \once \override AccidentalSuggestion.font-size = -3
    \once \override AccidentalSuggestion.script-priority = -1
    \hideNotes
    b16\turn
  }
  f8. [(aes32 c)]
}

While this does not look _that_ much easier, the difference becomes really notable for "standard" delayed turns without accidental suggestions:

\version "2.23.4"

\relative {
  \after 8 \turn c''8.( d32 e)
}