Re: Strange text distribution

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Strange text distribution
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 15:08:08 +0100

Bernhard Kleine <bernhard.kleine@gmx.net> writes:

> Hi, I feel lost. The text should go to every note in the
> example. However the brackets behave as slurs /ties. This is
> unexpected. Where is the error?
>
> Kind regards Bernhard
>
> \version "2.21.1"
> \language "deutsch"
> \header {
>   title = "Im Haslachtal"
>   tagline = "Satz: Bernhard Kleine 2021"
> }
> \paper {
>   #(set-paper-size "a4")
> }
> global = {
>   \key b \major
>   \numericTimeSignature
>   \partial 4
>   \time 3/4
>   \autoBeamOff
> }

[...]

LilyPond notation reference "Automatic beams":

          Note: If beams are used to indicate melismata in songs, then
          automatic beaming should be switched off with ‘\autoBeamOff’
          and the beams indicated manually.  Using ‘\partCombine’ with
          ‘\autoBeamOff’ can produce unintended results.  See the
          snippets for more information.

LilyPond NR "Multiple notes to one syllable":

   • Notes are considered a melisma if they are manually beamed,
     providing automatic beaming is switched off.  See *note Setting
     automatic beam behavior::.

          <<
            \new Voice = "melody" \relative {
              \time 3/4
              \autoBeamOff
              f''4 g8[ f e f]
              e2.
            }
            \new Lyrics \lyricsto "melody" {
              Ky -- ri -- e
            }

[...]

   Other settings for ‘melismaBusyProperties’ can be used to selectively
include or exclude ties, slurs, and beams from the automatic detection
of melismata; see ‘melismaBusyProperties’ in *note
(lilypond-internals)Tunable context properties::.

   Alternatively, if all melismata indications are to be ignored,
‘ignoreMelismata’ may be set true; see *note Stanzas with different
rhythms::.

   If a melisma is required during a passage in which
‘melismaBusyProperties’ is active, it may be indicated by placing a
single underscore in the lyrics for each note which should be included
in the melisma:

     <<
       \new Voice = "melody" \relative {
         \time 3/4
         \set melismaBusyProperties = #'()
         c'4 d ( e )
         g8 [ f ] ~ 4 ~ f
       }
       \new Lyrics \lyricsto "melody" {
         Ky -- ri -- _ e __ _ _ _
       }

The main question for me is why your beaming cannot be expressed in the
form of a rule suitable for autobeaming.  Switching off autobeaming
altogether and writing every beam manually indicates that your beams
serve some function other than indicating the relation to the meter, and
when it is not for the sake of following syllable distribution, what is
it that is governing your choices?

Anyway, given the number of explicit beaming instructions in your score,
I consider it likely that removing \autoBeamOff would not even make a
difference in the resulting beaming while telling LilyPond that it
should disregard beaming in its melismeta decisionmaking.

--
David Kastrup