Lyrics above staff height inconsistent

From: Adam Good
Subject: Lyrics above staff height inconsistent
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 10:46:56 -0500

Dear List,

Here's a question I'm sure has been asked and answered often. I much prefer lyrics below the staff but if I had to, in the example below, what is causing the lyrics on the 2nd and 3rd stafflines to be higher than staffline 1? Playing with:

\override VerticalAxisGroup.nonstaff-relatedstaff-spacing.padding

...doesn't quite deliver for me.

Any insight is appreciated!

Adam

%%%

\version "2.23.0"
\score {
  <<
    \new Staff = "staff" {
      \new Voice = "melody" {
        \relative {
          \repeat unfold 3 { f'4 g a b c d e d \break }
    \new Lyrics
    \with { alignAboveContext = "staff" }
    \with {
  %\override VerticalAxisGroup.nonstaff-relatedstaff-spacing.padding = #-0.5
}

    {
      \lyricsto "melody" {
        \repeat unfold 6 { Here are the words }