Re: clef change in 1st ending

From: Wol
Subject: Re: clef change in 1st ending
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 21:44:17 +0100

On 26/10/2021 08:46, Lukas-Fabian Moser wrote:
While this is technically perfect, I'd strongly advise against doing it this way: It's a recipe for disaster regarding the start of the 2nd alternative. Half of your cellists (or whatever instrument uses tenor and bass clef here) is going to play a g' here, because there's this tenor clef directly in front of the the note, separated only by the bar line (which is what you're used to in any clef change).

Unfortunately, as a trombone player (for whom orchestral parts sometimes mix tenor and bass clef), parts like this aren't unusual.

Yes they might confuse players, but as the tenor clef is INSIDE the first time bar, the player should ignore it when going to the second time bar. And as plenty of experienced players have drummed into me over the years, before you play a piece, CHECK THE LAYOUT. Key signatures, time signatures, clefs, etc etc.

Cheers,
Wol