Re: Suppressing engraving of string numbers on all voices simultaneously

From: Dave Trombley
Subject: Re: Suppressing engraving of string numbers on all voices simultaneously
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 23:01:02 -0400

This is perfect, thanks!   It's all working.

Arguably this is not a super-common use case, but it is illustrative of how these features work / are associated.  Perhaps it should be added to the snippets?

   -Dave

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 7:30 PM David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
Dave Trombley <dave.trombley@gmail.com> writes:

> I am producing a "learning" guitar score with both standard musical
> notation and tablature on adjacent staves.  I wish to hide the output of
> the string numbers on the standard notation staff, and have this working
> for single-voice passage by using the code
>
>      \override Voice.StringNumber #'transparent = ##t
>
> in the Staff context for each standard staff.

That will still reserve space for the string number.

> However, this only works for the first voice.   My guess is that the way
> \override works is by changing the default value of the named property the
> next time it is instantiated, but the documentation is not clear on this
> point and so I am not certain.

An override for Voice will work for the current Voice.

> When I use another voice, as in the passage
>
>       << {s8 e~ e2} \\ {b4\4 a2\4}>>
>
> the second voice displays the string numbers, which I do not want.
>
> I could override this property again every time I instantiate a new voice,
> but that is extremely cumbersome.   Is there some way to set
> StringNumber.transparent true per default?

Again, transparency is the wrong solution since the spacing will still
be affected.  You can just use

\omit Staff.StringNumber

to have string numbers omitted for the entire Staff.  Of course you can
also do so in the whole score by specifying

\layout {
  \context {
    \Staff
    \omit StringNumber

> How can I completely disable the output of string numbers for all voices?
> It would be super if there was a way to temporarily turns this back on with
> \override, but even just disabling it would be an improvement...

\once \undo \omit StringNumber

might work for a single string number.

--
David Kastrup