Re: Time signatures for all parts

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Time signatures for all parts
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 14:49:04 +0000

From: lilypond-user <lilypond-user-bounces+carl.d.sorensen=gmail.com@gnu.org> on behalf of Erika Pirnes <erika.pirnes@hotmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, October 12, 2021 at 8:09 AM
To: "lilypond-user@gnu.org" <lilypond-user@gnu.org>
Subject: Time signatures for all parts

I'm writing an orchestra piece with a lot of time signature changes. I was wondering if there is a way to put all the time signature changes into one place, and use that in all parts? For example, if I want to later change a 6/4 to 3/2, I would only need to change it in one place and not for all parts separately.

The longstanding “canonical” answer for this is to create a global part (often called “global”, but the name is not significant) that contains time signatures, tempo changes, etc. that apply to all parts.  Then you put the global part in parallel with the appropriate parts in the scores you are creating.

\version "2.22"

global = {

  \time 4/4

  \key c\major