Re: Applying rhythms

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Applying rhythms
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2021 13:14:33 +0200

Calvin Ransom <calvin@ransom.vip> writes:

> Hi everyone,
> I found some code previously made in the mailing list that works for
> separating pitch and rhythm.
> It still works after 9 years but it cannot print tuplet numbers. Does
> anyone know how to do this or create a workaround?
>
> Re: Separating pitch and rhythm
> (mail-archive.com)<https://www.mail-archive.com/lilypond-user@gnu.org/msg70504.html>

You don't show an example of the problem you are having.  The code does
nothing that would relate to printing tuplet numbers.  Ah ok, that may
be the problem: printing tuplet numbers requires music _structure_, not
just durations.

And the structure is taken from the music containing the pitches, not
the music containing the durations.  One could write this snippet so
that it takes the structure from the music containing the durations.  Or
you could just fudge this by putting the skip-based music in parallel
and hope that the elements are sufficiently 1:1 that stuff lines up with
the actual music after it had its durations replaced.  Which is probably
going to work in some cases and going to produce real weird results in
others.

This sort of question comes up enough that I wonder whether our
Lyric_combine_music_iterator should be a more general mechanism not just
available for lyrics.

--
David Kastrup