Re: slur over break

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: slur over break
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 20:03:48 +0200

Hi Molly,

in your example .ly file, the tweaking of the PhrasingSlur seems to be kind-of necessary (and I admit the default phrasing slur looks awful).

As for the collision with lyrics: It seems that \shape'd slurs may collide with lyrics and the like in a way that non-\shape'd slurs don't. I've never had to do this before, but to me it seems this is a case for explicitly controlling the inter-staff distance.

In your case, if I add

          \overrideProperty
          Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn.line-break-system-details
          #'((alignment-distances . (15 12)))

before the \shape command, I get something that looks reasonable; the 15 and 12 control, respectively, the first/second inter-staff distance.

By the way, you could think about creating shorthands for \change Staff = "upper" and the like:

down =
#(define-music-function (mus) (ly:music?)
   #{
     \change Staff = "lower"
     #mus
     \change Staff = "upper"
   #})

Also, \new Voice without braces {} afterwards doesn't make much sense - this puts only the first note in a new voice. But it's not necessary to explicitly start a new voice here, anyway.

I've made some other changes to your source (note the placement of << _after_ \new PianoStaff!). Look how short it got! :-)

Lukas