Re: Handling transpositions gracefully

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Handling transpositions gracefully
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 18:28:57 -0700

On 2021-05-17 5:43 pm, Mark Probert wrote:
Hi.

I'm not quite sure how to ask this, so please bear with me. Right now
I'm having fun doing jazz lead sheets (for which lilypond is a
fantastic tool--lilyjazz is fantastic! thank you!). What I find I'm
doing is creating a "concert" version, then making a bes version, then
a ees version (I play alto sax and cornet). Basically all the same
source except with a \transpose wrapper around the score.

Is there a recommended way of having a single source and then
triggering the multiple variant outputs? Or do I simply put the stuff
that remains constant an include and have three separate shells for the
different tranpositions?

Any thoughts? (I imagine this is a solved problem...)

You could use multiple \books along with \bookOutputSuffix:

%%%%
\version "2.22.0"

asdf = \relative f' {
 \time 3/4 \key f \major
 f4. c'8 g4 | a2. \bar "|."
}

\book { \bookOutputSuffix "C" \transpose c c \asdf }
\book { \bookOutputSuffix "Bb" \transpose bes, c \asdf }
\book { \bookOutputSuffix "Eb" \transpose ees c \asdf }
%%%%

(I might have messed up the actual transpositions, but you should get the idea.)

-- Aaron Hill