Re: Vertical staff spacing between song parts

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Vertical staff spacing between song parts
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2021 22:20:28 -0500

Hi Bruce,

> I'm engraving an instrumental that has three parts; each part is two lines
> long.  How can I arrange them on the page so that there is vertical space
> between the parts.

I would separate the parts into individual scores, and then use
score-system-spacing to control the inter-part spacing:

%%%%  SNIPPET BEGINS  %%%%
\version "2.18.2"
\language "english"

\paper {
  score-system-spacing.padding = #16
}

\score {
     \new Staff
     {
       a1^"part 1"  a a a \break
       a1 a a a

\score {
     \new Staff
     {
       a1^"part 2"  a a a \break
       a1 a a a \break

\score {
     \new Staff
     {
       a1^"part 3"  a a a
       a1 a a a \break
%%%%  SNIPPET ENDS  %%%%

I’d also likely use something other than markup for the "titles" (e.g., "part
3"), but that’s a different topic…

Hope that helps!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)