Re: Guitar tab question

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Guitar tab question
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2021 23:56:56 +0000

On 2/7/21, 10:17 AM, "lilypond-user on behalf of Thomas Morley"
<lilypond-user-bounces+carl.d.sorensen=gmail.com@gnu.org on behalf of
thomasmorley65@gmail.com> wrote:

    Am So., 7. Feb. 2021 um 17:23 Uhr schrieb John Ward <jward1234@charter.net>:

    > I'm new to music notation software and I have a question. Does Lily Pond
include the feature that allows you to write in guitar tab, convert that guitar
tab automatically to standard notation and then cut and paste that notation to
a piano score?
    > Sibelius and Muse score both have this feature.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > John

    In LilyPond you would define a variable and call it where you want, p.e.:

    \version "2.23.0"

    mus = \relative a {
      a4 b c d e f g a a1
    }

    <<
      \new TabStaff \mus

      \new RhythmicStaff \mus

      \new ChordNames \chordmode { \mus }

      \new Staff { \clef "G_8" \mus }

      \new NoteNames \mus

      \new PianoStaff \autoChange \mus

    I'm not sure what you mean with "the feature that allows you to write
    in guitar tab".
    Tabs needs to be entered in the so called "notemode" as demonstrated above.
    To write "put a finger on string two at first fret" (to get a c') is

c'\2 will get a finger on string 2 at the appropriate fret.  And if you want to
say which finger, you can add that as well:
c'\2-1

I guess you are saying there is no way to input notes as tablature, without
knowing the pitch of the note.  That is true.

I just wanted to clear that up, as your answer confused me for a while.

Thanks,

Carl