Re: Override BeamedStemTremolo with regular StemTremolo

From: Dimitris Marinakis
Subject: Re: Override BeamedStemTremolo with regular StemTremolo
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2021 20:11:42 +0200

Thanks
I just wanted the option to have the look I'm more used to (beam-like everywhere).

In regard to the length-fraction you are correct. In my case it looked weird because I had modified the regular beam fraction so the rectangles were a bit too close for my taste.

Best,
Dimitris

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 11:15 PM Thomas Morley <thomasmorley65@gmail.com> wrote:
Am Do., 4. Feb. 2021 um 17:08 Uhr schrieb Dimitris Marinakis
<dtsmarin02@gmail.com>:

> I understand the reason behind the aesthetic choice of using a different type of tremolostem for beamed notes but the current implementation IMO doesn't work as good as the regular StemTremolo.
>
> • Slope is a simple rotation and not a real slope.
> • You can't tweak the space (length-fraction) of tremolo beams independently from the beam(s)
>
> Are there any methods of applying the default StemTremolo to all notes regardless of them being beamed or not?
>
> I'd like to avoid making custom stems because it will need a lot of manual adjustments for each stem length. Unless you have a good code that accounts for different stem lengths etc.

Hi,

you did not provide any code to test, thus I wrote my own test-code,
which may match your use-case or not ...

The default implementation uses several conditions where to print
rectangle or beam-like Tremolo.
Here some code to show default decisions:

{
  \cadenzaOn
  \autoBeamOff
  <>^"Defaults"
  \stemUp

  c''1:32

  c''4:32

  c''8:32

  c'8:32[
  d''8:32]

  c''8:32[
  d'8:32]

  \bar "||"

  \stemDown
  c''1:32

  c''4:32

  c''8:32

  c'8:32[
  d''8:32]

  c''8:32[
  d'8:32]
  \bar "||"
}

Tbh, I can't think of a use-case where I would prefer the rectangles.
But you can override the behaviour to get _always_ rectangles or
beam-like tremolos:
    \override StemTremolo.shape = #'rectangle
    \override StemTremolo.shape = #'beam-like

Concerning the length-fraction:
I can't think of a use case where I'd want a different length-fraction
for the Beam and the StemTremolo at those beamed notes.
Could you elaborate?

Cheers,
  Harm