Re: manual alternative endings

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: manual alternative endings
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2021 01:59:27 -0800

On 2021-02-04 1:13 am, Paul Scott wrote:
The code below gives me what I want but gives me a warning.

warning: already have a volta spanner, ending that one prematurely

I'm thinking I need to add (volta #f) to the 2nd repeatCommands string
but If so my scheme is weak enough that I don't know how to add it.

TIA for any help with this,

Paul

\version "2.23.0"

voltaFine = \markup\sans\caps{Fine Ending}
voltaCont = \markup\sans\caps{To Cont.}

\relative {
  f''4 g a b
  \set Score.repeatCommands = #(list(list 'volta voltaFine))
  g4 a g a c1 \bar "|."
  \set Score.repeatCommands = #(list(list 'volta voltaCont))
  b1~1
  \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f))
  \bar "||"
}

There are a few ways to do this, depending on your comfort level with quoting (and quasi-quoting).

1:
%%%%
... = #(list (list 'volta #f) (list 'volta voltaCont))
%%%%

2:
%%%%
... = #(list '(volta #f) (list 'volta voltaCont))
%%%%

3:
%%%%
... = #`((volta #f) (volta ,voltaCont))
%%%%

NOTE: The backtick in the third option begins quasi-quoting, which allows you to "unquote" (using the comma) so you can reference the defined voltaCont variable.

-- Aaron Hill