Re: would someone send me the link to

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: would someone send me the link to
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2021 01:24:58 +0100

jh <info@soundand.com> writes:

> Hello-
> I'm afraid I'm going to get keelhauled for this. But is there a
> link/site where I can download 2.18.2 for win10.
> I've never understood after getting really comfortable with this
> version all the changes that make it to me incomprehensible and with a
> new computer (today) need to get lily onto this computer.

I am sort of surprised that you consider newer versions
incomprehensible, or rather that you feel that the changes interfere
with your use of LilyPond.  Have you tried just using a newer version
without bothering about the changes?  There is very little that will
have stopped working since 2.18.2 (and for some of the more complex
stuff, convert-ly does a good job of upgrading existing files while
usually making stuff easier on the eyes).  It's more like new things
will work as well and a number of things are much easier to do now.

So particularly if some things (old or new) are incomprehensible to you
and you would be tempted to ask for help achieving something, using a
version likely to be used by the people wanting to help you will make
life easier for all involved.

In the long run, the kind of work involved for moving on stays the same
regardless of when you decide to upgrade, and the more you trail behind,
the more likely the mismatch of versions in use will make it harder to
get useful feedback.

And that's assuming that there is nothing at all useful for you in the
changes.

That being said, I don't think we remove existing installers from the
download sites.

--
David Kastrup