Re: vertical positioning of text spanners and hairpins

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: vertical positioning of text spanners and hairpins
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2020 12:47:03 -0400

Hi Werner,

> To be serious: How should this be handled in the correct way?  Am I
> misunderstanding how `outside-staff-priority` works?

From
<https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/learning/outside_002dstaff-objects>:
 "changing outside-staff-priority of the Hairpin object will have no effect on
the vertical positioning of hairpins – you must change outside-staff-priority
of the associated DynamicLineSpanner object instead."

So one would *think* the following would work:

\new Dynamics {
  s2\tweak DynamicLineSpanner.outside-staff-priority #1000 \<
  s2\tweak outside-staff-priority #0
    \tweak bound-details.left.text "rit."
    \startTextSpan |
  s1\!\stopTextSpan
}

However, there’s a collision (?!) — looks like a spacing engine bug to me.

Using Y-offset solves your problem, but it’s as much of a hack as my first
solution.  ;)

Hope that helps!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)