Re: I ought to have a bar line here...

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: I ought to have a bar line here...
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2020 15:17:32 -0700

On 2020-10-26 3:03 pm, Mike Dean wrote:
Hi Carl:
Is \include "english.ly" different from \language "english"?

Part of my residing in the weeds is not being sure where \define command (and its relatives like \defineBarLine) ought to go...while the compilation
didn't crash, the bar line construction was ignored in this case
Mike Dean

\language "english" is preferred over \include "english.ly". The latter is a vestige of older LilyPond versions where the \language command did not exist, and the "english.ly" include files did more stuff. Now, "english.ly" is just a \version and \language statement.

I think you can get away with \defineBarLine being inside music, but it would probably be poor practice. It is better to place all definition (or definition-type things) at the top-level. The only exceptions are things that specifically require scope, like \paper variables.

----

As to why the bar line did not appear in your snippet, you redefined the bar twice in the same moment. Only use \bar once. In this case you would place the \bar command at the end of the alternative or at the beginning of the "Trio" section. As to which, that is probably personal taste.

-- Aaron Hill