Re: ! Please answer interesting functionality question for PhD Diss

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: ! Please answer interesting functionality question for PhD Diss
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 11:45:29 -0600

On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 11:35 AM Carl Sorensen <c_sorensen@byu.edu> wrote:

Well, let me give my take on this.

  1. Can Lilypond draw your staff symbols?  Yes, but you will need to write a new print function for the staff.  We already have the interface for changing the number of lines in the staff; that is no problem.  Right now, the print function prints all the staff lines the same thickness and color.  But there is a hook for changing the function that creates the staff, so you can do that.  This is a one-time cost that I think shouldn’t be too hard.
  2. Can the headphones be added?  Yes, as a special markup.  You could even put the markup on a layer behind the note, and tweak the dimensions of the markup so that it wouldn’t be thought to collide with the note, even though it overlaps.  Again, this is a one-time cost that is a little bit harder than the first one, I think.
Looking more carefully at your sample, I think I'd approach 2 in a different way.

I'd create some new noteheads that are headphone noteheads, because when the notehead is on the left-hand side of the stem, you want the headphone, rather than the black notehead, to touch the  stem.  But that is also doable, and the notehead used is easily tweakable.  You could start with the Gonville font, which is defined in python and is freely licensed (https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/gonville/), and you can either modify the python or just edit the font with a font editor.  Or you could add new noteheads to the Feta font.  Your choice.  Again, both very doable.

Carl