Re: Setting Gregorian chant: Note spacing for two note neumes seem to de

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Setting Gregorian chant: Note spacing for two note neumes seem to depend on length of lyric text
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 15:30:51 -0700

On 2020-10-20 12:07 pm, Matthew Fong wrote:
I've been a little puzzled by a LilyPond layout issue. I apologize in
advance for the long example, so I have included the input .ly files, and sample output. The files will require some commenting and uncommenting of
appropriate sections.

Many thanks in advances for any insights.

*Issue*
Two-and-more note neume spacing using \syllable function is affected by
some interaction of the *first* syllable, and the *final* Amen. It seems like LilyPond can squeeze the notes much closer together, as is seen when
\syllable is not used at all (but does not result in consistent note
spacing).

Sorry, I do not have much time to dig in further.

I notice one difference is the system count. Have you tried forcing the system count to three to see if LilyPond opts for tighter spacing?

%%%%
\paper { system-count = 3 }
%%%%

I suspect that spacing may be just at a cusp where it could fit to three systems but LilyPond decides to throw in a fourth system. Thus then the notes are forced to space further apart to fill the extra system.

Just a thought.

-- Aaron Hill