Re: OLL and git

From: Freeman Gilmore
Subject: Re: OLL and git
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2020 07:57:35 -0400

Thank you.
ƒg

On Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 5:19 AM Andrew Bernard <andrew.bernard@gmail.com> wrote:
To all interested in OLL. as I am starting this anew, in effect, I am
at the moment considering moving to Gitlab instead of Github. There is
precedent for this - lilypond is there! (not that that is directly
related to OLL). The current github organisation has been orphaned as
far as I can see, and for me to do the work and make the improvements
I see I prefer to move to Gitlab, so I can have complete management
control. Likewise, openlilylib.org has been removed, and I have
registered openlilylib.space and I am building a new website today,
which will have documentation, a blog, and support material and so on,
and anything else people may want.

My career has been in UNIX software development and IT Enterprise
Architecture. I am critically aware of the impact that changes can
have on people and existing code. However, I have been unhappy, as an
end user, with OLL git being fragmented into a number of repos. This
makes it harder than need be for beginners and people, and part of the
whole reason I am taking this on is to enhance the uptake and utility
for lilypond users, so I want to unify the work into one repo. There's
no criticism of what is there, but I think it 'just grew'. Now, making
a change like this would mean people will have to re-org their code a
bit, but on reflection I don't think this is a big deal or a big job,
and to move forward sometimes breaking changes need to be made.

I will of course keep all the very valuable existing code modules -
nothing will change there, except I will complete the move to make all
the snippets package compliant modules.

Changes like this often cause an uproar, but the existing github will
still be around, and people can move as and when they see fit, and all
new development and contributions should occur on the new Gitlab repo.
[It's not ready yet - I only started in on this with definite intent
today.]

Andrew