Re: creating "null" time signature for unmetered cadenzas

From: Pierre Perol-Schneider
Subject: Re: creating "null" time signature for unmetered cadenzas
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2020 13:04:32 +0200

Hi Andrew,
How about:

\version "2.20.0"
{
  \time 6/1
  \override Staff.TimeSignature.stencil = #(lambda (grob)
    (grob-interpret-markup grob #{ \markup\compound-meter #'(0 0) #}))
  c'4

Pierre

Le dim. 4 oct. 2020 à 11:43, N. Andrew Walsh <n.andrew.walsh@gmail.com> a écrit :
Hi List,

I have a piece (not mine) for solo violin, with multiple sections of effectively unmetered music (into which the client wants to draw free "graphic" figures, thus requiring empty space). I don't want to show the time signature I'm using to create the empty space (they're usually something like "\time 6/1"), but I still want to give the musician an indication that the passage is unmetered.

In my own scores, I usually indicate this with a time signature with zeros: i.e., something like "\time 0/0".

Is there a way to *display* that as a time signature, while leaving the *actual* time signature hidden in the printed score?

Thanks,