Re: about the html links

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: about the html links
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2020 09:40:18 -0500

On Sat 03 Oct 2020 at 07:06:55 (-0600), jh wrote:
> On 2020-10-02 21:20, David Wright wrote:
> > On Fri 02 Oct 2020 at 16:51:07 (-0600), jh wrote:
> >
> > > In general Lilypond has gotten so technical that I can't even follow
> > > the questions.....however I use it (older version) and am generally
> > > pleased with what I can understand.
> > > However
> > > Often there are attachments that are 'scrubbed' and links at the
> > > bottom of questions and responses, and once upupon a time I had an
> > > inkling of how to access those but no longer and just clicking on them
> > > gives me 'bad gateway' messages.
> > > So how does one access those?
> >
> > It's useful when asking questions like this to say by which method
> > you're accessing the discussion. I'll assume that you're reading
> > the mailing list on gnu.org in text digest form.
> >
> > If that is so, then you need to visit
> > https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
> > and click on [Unsubscribe or edit options] near the foot of the page.
> > Login on the page that appears, and then change your subscription
> > from Plain Text to MIME, about halfway down the page that appears.
> > You'll start receiving digests with each post and attachment as a
> > separate part of a multipart digest, instead of just running text.

> Thanks for this.  I'm not doing what you assumed.  I get the 'digest'
> via email and that is where I see the links at the end of many of the
> queries/responses.

Sorry. I assumed you would understand that digests are intrinsically
emails, designed for people whose systems struggle with large numbers
of individual posts.

> It's been so long that I even went to the places you mention that I no
> longer have a record of logging in or password etc.

You don't need it. I gave you the link, and I know that you can
ascertain the email address that the digests are being sent to.

> I hope that this is the answer to the suggestion/question you raise.
> Perhaps it is not possible to access those links from the email?

Time was when people communicated with list servers by means of
commands that looked like an adventure game: pickup sword,
kill giant, etc. Typically, you can still unsubscribe in that
manner, but most interactions are nowadays done through a browser.

So please visit the link and press the button. (Not a lot to ask.)
Everything you need will then be available. I could do the first
step for you, but the result might be misinterpreted as a phishing
attempt, so I won't.

Cheers,
David.