Re: Snippet "Clef change and repeat barline"

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Snippet "Clef change and repeat barline"
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2020 09:58:47 +0200

Am So., 28. Juni 2020 um 09:37 Uhr schrieb Pierre Perol-Schneider
<pierre.schneider.paris@gmail.com>:

> Hi Harm,
>
> Le sam. 27 juin 2020 à 10:39, Thomas Morley <thomasmorley65@gmail.com> a
> écrit :
>>
>> Some Remarks:
>> (a) Your override
>> \once\override Staff.TimeSignature.space-alist =
>>         #'((first-note . (fixed-space . 0)))
>> will replace the default space-alist with your setting, i.e. the other
>> default settings (see IR) are thrown away, causing:
>> programming error: No spacing entry from TimeSignature to `right-edge'
>> You rather want to update a single entry of said space-alist. Thus
>> \once\override Staff.TimeSignature.space-alist.first-note = #'(fixed-space .
>> 0)
>> is preferable.
>

> Ok
>
>> (b) Is there any reason for
>> \once\hideNotes
>> ?
>> Deleting it seems to make no difference
>

> No clue...:( Probably a forgotten trial...
>

>> (c) I'd not use two different overrides in the snippet to adjust
>> spacing. Thus I'd replace
>> \once\override Staff.Clef.X-offset = #.5
>> by
>> \once\override Staff.BarLine.space-alist.clef = #'(extra-space . 0.5)
>

> Hum, that seems a little short to me: I'd go for #'(extra-space . 0.7)
>

>> (d) I'd replace the namings "Default output:"/"Traditional output:"
>> by
>> "Current default LilyPond"/"Following E.Gould"
>> I always have difficulties with "traditional", because different
>> people may not agree with what's traditional at all.
>> And I'd say it's closer to the snippets description.
>

> Ok, I fully agree.
> I've also re-adjust  the the after clef space.
> Thank you very much Harm.
>
> Cheers,
> Pierre
>
> PS. LSR #1110 has been deleted.

Hi Pierre,

I've now approved it as
lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?u=1&id=1116
with some slight changes.

I deleted another instance of \hideNotes and changed
  \once\override Staff.Clef.space-alist =
          #'((key-cancellation minimum-space . 3)
             (key-signature minimum-space . 3))
  \once\override Staff.Clef.space-alist.key-cancellation = #'(minimum-space . 3)
  \once\override Staff.Clef.space-alist.key-signature = #'(minimum-space . 3)

Although your original syntax is ok in this case (no programming error
resulting) it throws away the other default settings for
Clef.space-alist.
I think we should demonstrate how to update certain settings. Instead
of confusing the user by replacing the whole alist, which will work
here but probably not in other cases.
WDYT?

Thanks,
  Harm

P.S.
Did you approve
http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?u=1&id=1005
yourself?
It somehow vanished from my TODO-list and I forgot about it. Sorry for that!