Spontini editor

From: Paolo Prete
Subject: Spontini editor
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2020 03:52:14 +0200

Hello,

I would like to share my new editor with you, after a *HUGE* work that I made in the past months.
The new editor seems to me mature now and it is so much evolved compared to my previous experiments that I even changed its name (now it's called "Spontini"). As explained in the homepage:

*) It allows the positioning of musical objects (articulations, texts, pedals, curves, brackets etc.) with the mouse, both for "avoid-collisions" properties (X/Y-offset, staff-padding, outside-staff-padding, padding) and for extra-offset property. Once the positioning is graphically done, the text editor reports the corresponding changes on the input file: these changes are written in standard Lilypond code and do not require any additional software to be compiled.

*) It assists in the creation of piano music by inserting notes in tabular and formatted form. It also supports cross-staff scores through a set of work-arounds (invisible to the user) that solve many issues of the native cross-staff functions.

https://github.com/paolo-prete/Spontini

Several examples are provided.

Note that it's *absolutely not* a WYSIWYG editor. Instead, it is an *assistant* for the text editor.

I invite you to try this editor and, if you can, leave me feedback: it is very difficult for me to do a really deep test because there are many and many features. And I'm doing all this *alone* ... . Of course any contribution from you would be great (And I am enormously grateful to Aaron and Harm who helped me in the Scheme code. Without their help all this would not have been possible)

Various things are in the TODO list, but I think it's good to publish a dev snapshot right now, because I think that the editor can already be used, as I do for my scores.

In the next few weeks I'll show to the ML how to create a complex piano score with a professional look and a very accurate micro-tuning of all the grobs in a very short time, with my editor. But before this I need to create a release of the project and I would be really grateful to anyone interested in testing (I could test it on Windows only though a virtual machine...)

Thank you for your attention!