Re: Harmonic reduction

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: Harmonic reduction
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 09:59:52 +0200

Hi Urs,

Also, Schönberg gave (in his Harmonielehre) funny examples of
"impossible" sonorities taken from Bach's Motetten by just stopping
the
music at the right (or wrong?) time, together with equally funny
jibes
against the "aestheticians", or from Mozart's symphonies (also
attached).

Maybe all I'm saying here is that any such automated tool for
"musical
analysis" would have to be highly configurable.
Very valid points, indeed. However, it seems I'm persistently not
making myself clear.
I'm not looking for musical interpretation/analysis, just for a
visualization of what is sounding at the same time, to get a visual
idea about the harmonies resulting from polyphonic settings.

Well yes, that's what your example conveyed. I think I tried to dispute the meaningfulness of such a visualization, since depending on the compositional techniques used, such a representation is very likely cluttered with all sorts of dissonant notes that the "knowledgeable ear" integrates into higher-order structures.

But of course you know all of this, and I should just assume that you have good reasons for wanting to have what you described and gave an example for. Maybe I'm behaving like the music shop assistant who some years ago, when I asked for an electric tuning device with a special feature (ability to display the deviation from equal-temperament _in cents_), just looked at me knowingly and said: "Oh, but you don't need this." :-)

Best
Lukas